Saturday, September 1, 2012

Five Things: Books

I am a reader. I frequently read multiple books at once, and I've rarely met a book that I haven't liked. No one ever asks for my opinion on books (madness) (that's okay, though), but I figured that I'd give you guys my five favourite books. Just because.

  • Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes

No matter how many times I read this book, it kills me. Kills me dead. I'm sure that a lot of you have read it, at least the shorter version they stick in English textbooks, but honestly, the novel is so much better. It's fuller, more tragic, and a bit more beautiful. This is my favourite book, and whenever anyone asks for recommendations, this is the first book I mention.

  • Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

Let me say it now, I absolutely love The Hunger Games trilogy. So much. Mockingjay, the last book, is my favourite out of the three. I won't say too much about it, because if you haven't read it, then my reasons for loving it might ruin it for you. Just trust that it's fantastic, heart-breaking (aren't they all?), and full of action. All of my favourite things in a book! I can't say enough about these books, though. They're a bit gory, but the violence isn't taken lightly. The protagonist does have to deal with relationships, because why not, but it's so refreshing to see a heroine go out and do things for reasons other than love. She's strong and brave and so incredibly messed up. I just really love Katniss, okay?

  • Her Fearful Symmetry, Audrey Niffenenegger

This book is a little weird, a little tragic, and a lot excellent. It's a ghost story, but done so well that the ghost part isn't even the best part. You've got co-dependent twins, lying twins, a couple fantastic plot twists, and a small handful of incredibly messed-up characters that you can't help but root for.

  • The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

It's a good book, yeah, but I'm not gonna lie: the reason it's on this list is because I just want to live in it. It's so pretty. But it's also, you know, good.

  • Ophelia, Lisa Klein

In this novel, with a determined protagonist who does act for love, Ophelia survives. Yes, it's Hamlet's Ophelia, the girl who went mad and committed suicide. What I like about this novel is that Ophelia wasn't mad, and she survived. She gets her happy ending. What more could you ask for?
These are just some of my favourite books. There are infinitely many more. And if you're looking for something new to read, just ask. Seriously, I live for telling people what to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment