Sunday, August 26, 2012

Color Me Helpful

Okay, so, I'm going back to school tomorrow. Which is rough (I have to get up early, and I am not meant for mornings. I'm just not), and awesome (Biology! Drawing!) at the same time. I'll be getting back to normal, with fairly regular outfit posts, so that's something we all can look forward to, I hope.
For my readers starting/going back to college tomorrow, or in the near future, here are some things you might find useful, whether your school is of the two-year, or the four-year variety:

  • Don't wear open-toed shoes in a lab. Any lab. Especially chemistry. You're just asking for amputation. (I will be ignoring this tomorrow, because I doubt I'll be spending much time in my bio lab. Such is the life of waitlisted students).
  • Don't wear heels or new, uncomfortable shoes until you know what to expect. You'd probably want to know how much walking you'll be doing to/from classes, how much time you have between classes (not all of us can run in heels. I can barely walk in them), how hilly your campus is, etc. You'll thank me for saving you from blisters and achy long-day feet.
  • On the first week, at least, you'll want a decently-sized bag. Something that can fit a bunch of notebooks and/or a binder. This seems like common knowledge, but trust me, it's absurdly easy to be caught off-guard with a bag that's just a little too small for all the stuff you have to carry.
  • Unless your campus has a uniform (do they even do that? I don't know), then seriously, you can pretty much wear whatever you want. Clothes are clothes, and unless you're wearing, like, a bikini, you're probably doing it right. My favourite part about going to school almost every day is honestly the fact that I have to get dressed every day. I'm not gonna lie: I spent most of the summer in my pajamas. I'm excited about getting to wear some of my new clothes, and some of my older stuff in new ways. Use this as an opportunity to get creative, or just live your life in sweats. Seriously, college isn't like high school: 90% of people really are there to learn, so what you're wearing will probably only barely cross anyone's mind. Have fun with it, or don't. Wear what you want.
  • Actual useful tip: if you're a commuter, one of the best things in life is an extra layer. Cardigan, coat, scarf, it doesn't matter. If it's made of cloth (or something along those lines. Whatever), and if you can safely bunch it up, you can use it as a pillow. Also, they're good for wearing when the commuter bus is way too cold to survive. Because seriously, that sucks. Even when it's still a hundred degrees out.
These are just useful little things that I've picked up in the past couple years. It really is all simple, common-knowledge stuff, and honestly, I think that the only thing that everyone ought to remember is that bit about labs, but I'm just trying to be helpful. I figured I'd impart my wisdom! Because, let's face it, I am terrifically wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment